Monday, March 19, 2012

Cavalier Poems

I like the cavalier poems because I like that they are relatively straight forward. Of course, the poems can still contain deeper meaning, but for the most part, I think they are what they are. Like in class today, I disagreed with some of my peers’ interpretation of “To Lucasta, on Going to the Wars”. I understand where some of them might have seen a battle of love between one another or some sort of love triangle, but it just does not add up. To me, Lovelace is clearly declaring his love for war as greater than his love for his lover. I just do not think that there is more to really say. It is beautifully written, and the idea is interesting and captivating, but in my opinion, it is not meant to be looked at too deeply. Some poems are written to be witty and straightforward and not all poems necessarily need to be scrutinized so severely to where it changes the poet’s original meaning. Well that is how I see it anyway. I like the reoccurring theme of “Carpe Diem”. I know that the phrase can be used in destructive ways, but in life, I have found this quote to be incredibly important. When I think about it, the most spontaneous and sporadic things that I have done have been some of my best memories. Like I said, some people (such as many of the poets we have studied) tend to take this saying a little out of hand. But all in all, taking advantage of every opportunity is a great way to live. The people only thinking of the future might forget to live in the present. Every second is a gift and nobody knows what life will bring. You might as well live life to the fullest because tomorrow is not definite. The bird imagery used throughout some of the poems is a cool concept. Birds migrate with the seasons, almost as if they carry time or something. Also, they shed their feathers as if starting anew. Furthermore, birds chirp in the morning and owls hoot at night. For centuries, people depended on birds for a wake up call… it is interesting to think that birds are programmed to be our natural alarm clock and also clock. Birds are also fast and they do not live particularly long. Likewise, time is rapid and the more time has been spent, the less a person has to live. By living minute by minute, one is keeping up with time. But unfortunately, it is easy to let time’s rapid pace pass us by. So, I guess the term “time flies” is appropriately deemed. Overall, I’m enjoying this segment of poetry although I find it difficult to discuss for too long of a time. I suppose most poems can be looked at more deeply, but I feel like these are meant to personally relate to the individual reading them. So, no analysis can really capture how one is personally affected by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment